The Student Summit is a phenomenal opportunity for Students to attend there first conference, present for the first time, or network with their future colleagues. The purpose of this email it two fold.
1. It is my hope that you will spread the word and encourage your students to attend the summit. This model was designed to provide students an affordable opportunity to embrace the professional world of experiential education. I have grown personally and professionally from this event and I have no doubt it will have a profound impact on your students.
2. Convince you to come! We like to embrace a concept called "campfire mentoring." An opportunity to have a conversation with a professional around the fire is something special, and we would love for you to come be part of this event.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me via email. I have attached additional event information as well as a video with first hand student accounts of their experiences at the student summit.
http://youtu.be/rUPkhkaK5y0 - Student Summit Video (Worth the Watch)
The Third Annual Heartland Region Student Summit is taking place at the Touch of Nature Environmental Center in Carbondale, IL in a little over two weeks! Thanks to you, and the others who joined you around the fire at Camp Ondessonk in 2012, the momentum surrounding this event continues to build. We are now reaching out for your help in spreading the word about this year's experience.
Even if you have already graduated, you are invited to attend and perhaps you know of some solid students still around in your program. We have a couple spots left for workshop presentations and are looking for great ideas worth sharing with this year's attendees.
Some key things to know:
- The Early Bird registration rate of $90.00 for the weekend has been extended until Monday, March 24th. This fee covers the conference, lodging, meals and entertainment.
- Check-in starts at 2:00pm Thursday, April 3rd. Opening Circle starts at 4:30pm.
- Highlights of the event include a 50th anniversary of the 1964 Wilderness Act celebration; student-presented workshops; representatives from federal land management agencies and regional outdoor recreation and education programs; an awesome jazz and blues band playing live Friday night; and campfire mentoring.
- Keynote Speaker: Karl Rohnke, one of the founding fathers of team building and the challenge course industry.
- Closing circle takes place at 10:00am on Saturday.
- Touch of Nature staff will be facilitating post-conference activities on Saturday, including high-ropes course programming, rock climbing, and paddling experiences.
You can find out more about this year's Student Summit, our keynote speaker, submit a workshop proposal and register for the event by clicking here.
Please consider joining us again, and helping us to spread the word!
Brian Croft and the 2014 Convening Committee